Clydesdale Cricket Club Football Match SFA Semi Final 1874

Please note whereas I try to ensure that what I publish is correct, and to differentiate between what is supported by documentation etc, and what is, in my opinion, a reasonable assumption, everything should be treated with caution. If you have come across information that you believe is relevant to your own research please either verify it independently or drop me a line to confirm its validity. Equally if believe something is incorrect, or if you wish to add any details or discuss please get in touch using the Contact Form.

If you have come to this page via a browser, I hope you will find something of interest here or elsewhere in our other Hendry Family History Pages.

HH01580A.gif (1311 bytes)

Contact Form  Click here

Clydesdale v Blythswood SFA Semi Final - 1874



cfball2.jpg (81350 bytes)



CLYDESDALE v. BLYTHSWOOD - Played on Kinning Park, the ground of the Clydesdale, and resulted as an easy victory for the elder club by four goals to nil. The ground was very soft and did not show of the Association game to advantage. At a few minutes before three o'clock both teams faced each other for the first time, and a single glance showed to which side the weight leaned - the senior club being a couple of stone heavier all over. The Blythswood were successful in winning the toss, and this necessitated their opponents to play against a strong, gusty wind, which blew across the ground the whole time the game lasted. At the outset it looked as if the strangers were going to have the best of the game, as, with the wind in their favour, they kept the ball well in neutral ground for some time. The back-play of the Clydesdale, however, was equal to the occasion. In about half an hour after the game began, in spite of the wind and the steady forward play of one or two of the Blythswood forwards, including Messrs. W. Phillips and Brues, a splendid rush by the whole of the Clydesdale forwards was too much for the younger club, and Mr. Gibb, by a fine, steady shot, scored the first goal for the Clydesdale. On ends being changed the latter club made another fine charge, and so well was the ball "middled" by the half-backs and backs that another goal was soon kicked by Mr. A. Taylor. Shortly after this the third goal was kicked at the upper end by Mr. J. Wilson, but the ball struck the hand of the Blythswood goal-keeper before it went under the tape. Shortly before time was called, another goal was successfully kicked by Mr. A. Taylor, the ball being finely centred by Messrs. Gibb, Gardener, Wilson, and Hendry. After this goal the umpires agreed to cease hostilities, as the light was very bad, leaving the Clydesdale victorious by four goals by none. The following were the teams: - BLYTHSWOOD. - J. McDougal (goal, captain), G. Phillips, W. Davidson, backs; W. Bain and Brues, half-backs; J. Wright, J. Phillips, W. Gibb, D. McPhun, A. Smith, and J. Stevenson, forwards. CLYDESDALE - G. Webster (goal), J. Gardener (capt.), A. Raeburn, backs; D. Wotherspoon, J. Stanley, half-backs; J. Wilson, W. Gibb, F. Anderson, A. Laing, A.Taylor, E. Hendry, forwards. The Clydesdale will now meet the Queen's Park for the final tie for the Cup.

Return to Appendix D.