Further details of Mary Donald, wife of James Robb
Please note whereas I try to ensure that what I publish is correct, and to differentiate between what is supported by documentation etc, and what is, in my opinion, a reasonable assumption, everything should be treated with caution. If you have come across information that you believe is relevant to your own research please either verify it independently or drop me a line to confirm its validity. Equally if believe something is incorrect, or if you wish to add any details or discuss please get in touch using the Contact Form.
If you have come to this page via a browser, I hope you will find something of interest here or elsewhere in our other Hendry Family History Pages.
Contact Form Click here
FURTHER DETAILS OF MARY DONALD, WIFE OF JAMES ROBB For details of Mary Donald's later marriage to James Robb and their descendents Click here
Mary Donald was baptised on 30 December 1801, in Lesmahagow, the daughter of
Andrew Donald, a farmer, and Margaret Meikle who were married on 28 December
1786, in Lesmahagow. Mary seems to have been the seventh of twelve children. According to his later gravestone
Andrew Donald was a farmer at Blackwood Yett, a farm just to the south of
Blackwood, about 3 miles north of Lersmahaygow.
CHILDREN OF ANDREW DONALD & MARGARET MEIKLE
From the Lesmahagow Parish
Register - Brown - From
the Mormon IGI - Red
||Bapt. 22 May 1788
||Bapt. 17 March 1790
||Born 29 February 1792
||Bapt. 6 March 1792
||Bapt. 1 June 1794
||Bapt. 12 June 1796
||Born 19 September 1799
||Bapt. 26 September 1799
||Bapt. 30 December 1801
||Born 28 April 1804
||Bapt. 6 May 1804
||Bapt. 29 December 1806
||Born 11 May 1810
||Bapt. 15 May 1814
In a transcription of the 1821 Lesmahagow Census Return, one of the few pre-1841
census returns to have names, there is -
I would guess this maybe a misreading of DOUGALD for DONALD and BRAKENWOODYET for BLACKWOODYET, with 3 males and 4 females.
Mary Donald's father, Andrew Donald, died on 6 December 1822, aged 60, and her mother, Margaret Meikle, died on 11 October 1839, aged 74. They were both laid to rest in the graveyard of Lesmahagow church, alongside their son, William**, who died on 16 October 1809, aged 13, and these details are taken from their headstone there.
|Inscription on Donald headstone in
Lesmahaygow parish church graveyard - (recumbent stone)
BLACKWOOD YETT WHO
DIED 6th DECr 1822 AGED 60 YEARS
ALSO MARGARET MEIKLE HIS
WIFE WHO DIED 11th OCTr 1839 AGED 74
YEARS WILLIAM THEIR SON DIED
16th AUGt 1809 AGED 13 YEARS
I am confident that this Andrew Donald was the son of William Donald and Susan Torrance/Torrence despite not being able to find any record of his birth\baptism. William Donald and Susan Torrance were recorded as married on 11 November 1758 in the OPR of Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire. "William Donald in Blackwood Yett and Susan Torrence in Brackinridge both in this parish". This is based on the following...
He called his first son Andrew and his second daughter Susan. Going by the often followed tradition of naming the first son after the paternal grandfather and the second daughter after the paternal grandmother this would fit with his parents being William Donald and Susan Torrance/Torrence. (I believe Margaret Meikle, Andrew's wife was the daughter of William Meikle and Janet Meikle and as their first daughter was called Janet this would also correspond with the naming convention. As both grandfather's were William this was already covered by the naming of the first born son William.)
He is described on his gravestone of being of Blackwood Yett, which is where William Donald is named as coming from at the time of his marriage to Susan Torrance and it is where their children were born.
There are records of the birth\baptism of the following chidren of William Donald and Susan Torrance: -
It can been seen that the couple had a child every two years or so with a noticeable gap of 4 years 9 months from the first recorded child (20 March 1760), to the second recorded child (25 December 1764). The gravestone of Andrew Donald identifies him as "DIED 6th DECr 1822 AGED 60 YEARS" which means he was born in 1762 and this would fit this gap.
There is a DNA connection between my wife who is a descendant of Andrew Donald and a descendant of Robert Donald, confirmed as a child of William Donald and Susan Torrance through his death certificate of 1858.
- William Donald born\baptised on 20 March 1760 in Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire.
- Margaret Donald born\baptised on 25 December 1764 in Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire. 5 years 9 months gap
- Marion Donald born\baptised on 8 August 1767 in Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire. 2 years 7 months gap
- Robert Donald born\baptised on 27 November 1770 in Blackwood Yett, Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire. 3 years 3 months gap
- George Donald born\baptised on 4 October 1772 in Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire. 1 year 10 months gap
- Janet Donald born\baptised on 17 January 1775 in Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire. 2 years 3 months gap
- Mary Donald born\baptised on 18 February 1777 in Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire. 2 years 1 month gap
Additional Donald Ancestry
It would appear that the farm at Blackwood Yett may have been tenanted by the Donald's over a number of generations and this allows a fairly confident identification of their lineage going back to the 17th century as follows....
As already stated William Donald and Susan Torrance were recorded as married on 11 November 1758 in the OPR of Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire. "William Donald in Blackwood Yett and Susan Torrence in Brackinridge both in this parish". One would assume William to have been in his early twenties when he married, and there is a record of a William Donald baptised on 25 May 1735 in the OPR of Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire to a William Donald and Marion Pait. - "William son to Wm Donald and Marion Pait in Blackwood Yet bapt May 23 1735". The identification of Blackwood yet would suggest that this is one and the same William Donald who married Susan Torrance 23 years later.
William Donald and Marion Pait were recorded as married on 5 February 1732 in Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire. "William Donald, son to William Donald in Blackwood Yet and Marion Pait, datr to George Pait in Woodhead Febr 15 1732", and there is a record of a William Donald baptised on 4 February 1711 in the OPR of Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire to a William Donald and Mary Carscallen. "William son to Wm Donald and Mary Carscallen in Blackwood was bapt Feb 4 1711." Again the identification of Blackwood would suggest that this is one and the same William Donald who married Marion Pait 21 years later.
No record of the marriage of William Donald to a Mary Carsacllan has been found. However there is a family tree on the LDS Familysearch website which lists this couple and their children as follows -
How accurate this tree is I do not know. There is a birth\baptism for a Thomas Donald recorded in the OPR of Lesmahagow, lanarkshire but with only a father's name listed, "Thomas Donald son to William donald, Blackwood, the 30 April 1693 James Mair Alex Miller Witness", although the residence is given as Blackwood. The baptism of Margaret is similarly recorded with just a father's name given, i.e. William. However the baptismal record of Catherine Donald of 17 November 1701 does give both a father's name William Donald and a mother's name Carscallan. The baptismal record of William Donald of 4 February 1711 also give both a father's name William Donald and a mother's name Carscallan. and the identifies the residence as Blackwood.
- John Donald - 1690, Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire
- Thomas Donald - 30 April 1693, Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire (Confirmed as a son of William Donald of Blackwood by OPR record 30 April 1693 but with no mother's name provided.)
- Margaret Donald - 3 February 1696, Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire
- Catherine Donald - 1701, Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire, Scotland (Confirmed by OPR record - 17 November 1701)
- Isobell Donald - 1706, Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire (Confirmed by OPR record - 17 November 1706)
- Katharine Donald - Abt 1708, Lesmahagow, Lanarkshie
- William McIntosh Donald - 4 February 1711, Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire (Confirmed by OPR record - 04 February 1711)
As a result we can not be sure that Mary Carscallan was the mother of the first three children listed in this tree, and it is possible that the mother of the first three children died between 1696 and 1700, and that Mary Carscallen was William's second wife but this would seem unlikely. However the identification in the OPR record that Thomas Donald, baptised 30 April 1693 as being at Blackwood is strong evidence that he was one and the same as the father of William Donald baptised 4 February 1711 also at Blackwood. On this assumption it would suggest that William, their father was born circa 1670.
This tree can be found on Familysearch goes back a further generation with William who married Mary Carscallan being the son of William Donald and Marion Tarbet. There is certainly a record of a William Donald and Marion Tarbet, with their married\banns registered on 12 February 1663 in the Glasgow Parish register, who had a son William, whose birth\baptism was registered on 29 April 1666 in the Glasgow Parish register. This would fit as far as a timeline goes but I have no evidence to support this additional generation.
According to the age given for Margaret Meikle on her gravestone of 74 she would have been born circa 1765. It is therefore possible that she was one and
the same as the Margaret Meikle recorded in the I.G.I as born 13th October 1765 in Lesmahagow, the daughter of William Meikle and Janet Meikle. This would seem to be confirmed by a number of DNA matches by my wife to other descendants of William Meikle and Janet MeikleWilliam Meikle and Janet Meikle. This couple had six known children:
- Janet Meikle was born on 29 Jan 1758 in Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire. Nothing more currently known.
- Richard Meikle was christened on 3 Jun 1760 in Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire. I believe Richard married Janet McGowan on 20 Apr 1790 in Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire. Janet was born on 4 Apr 1766 in Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire. The couple had 5 known children.
- William Meikle was christened on 3 Mar 1763 in Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire. Nothing more currently known.
- Margaret Meikle born on 13 October 1765. Margaret married Andrew Donald as per previous.
- William Meikle was christened on 6 Sep 1768 in Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire. William married Catherine Beaton on 29 Dec 1820 in Neilston, Renfrewshire. Catherine was born about 1801 in Kilfinichen, Mull, Argyll. William was buried on 30 Jan 1848 in Neilston, Renfrewshire. Catherine died in 1884 in Neilston, Renfrewshire. The couple had 7 known children.
- Mary Meikle was born in the March of 1771 in Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire. Nothing more currently known.